GLORIA MARIA ASPILLERA DIAZ
Gloria Maria Aspillera Diaz was born to Jamie “Jimmy” Diaz and Teresa “Tita” Aspillera in 1950 and is one of 12 siblings. Gloria is the grand-niece of Paz Grivialde Aspillera, who married Manuel Maronilla Calleja.
On 19 July 1969, she was crowned Miss Universe at the tender age of 18. She was the first Filipino to win this title. She is also a well-respected actress in Philippine television and film.
She married Bong Daza, son of culinary icon, Nora Daza and had three children: Raphael (adopted), Isabelle and Ava.
She was the first in her clan to become a public personality. Among the others that followed are:
- Georgia Isabel Diaz Roa, daughter of Gloria’s sister Ruby, is a pediatric dentist by profession and is the wife of ex-Congressman Gilbert Remulla of Cavite.
- Georgina Ashley Diaz Wilson, daughter of Gloria’s sister Aurora and financial analyst Robert Wilson, is a sought-after model and cover girl. She is an endorser for products like Kashieca (clothing line) and Palmolive. She attended Assumption College, Ateneo de Manila University and University of Sydney.
- Illac Angelo Ancelloti Diaz, son of Gloria’s brother Ramon, is a social entrepreneur known for his innovative ideas for the marginalized Filipino. His breakthrough projects include the Pier One Seaman’s Dorm and the My Shelter Foundation’s low-cost earth bag homes. Illac has won several awards for his work: among them, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology US$100K Business Plan Competition, Innovation Entrpreneur at the 2007 Philippine Entrepreneur of the Year, the Jaycees International’s 10 Most Outstanding Young Persons of the World 2006. He was a model and collegiate athlete.
- Isabelle Diaz Daza, Gloria’s daughter, is a sought-after commercial model and cover girl. Belle has endorsed products like Human (clothing line), Century Tuna and Olay. At the 2007 Tattler Ball, an annual event for Manila’s social elite, she was awarded the Most Promising Lady. She is also a varsity athlete and a budding visual artist.
- Maria Rosario Aspillera Diaz, Gloria’s youngest sister. - Robert James Diaz Stewart (also known as Robin Da Roza), son of Gloria’s sister, is a model, a film actor and a television host. He is a graduate of the Philippine School of Interior Design and a practising interior designer.
Gloria Diaz on IMDB
Gloria Diaz on Wikipedia.
“Miss Universe Beauty Pageant 1969 Crowning” on YouTube.
“The Gloria Diaz Story” by James Guadalquiver
MARIA ROSARIO ASPILLERA DIAZ
Maria Rosario Aspillera Diaz was born on 14 August 1959 and was the youngest daughter of Jaime Diaz and Teresa Aspillera. She was the grand-neice of Paz Grivialde Aspillera, who married Manuel Maronilla Calleja.
Rio was a beauty titlist like her older sister, Gloria. She was the 1977 Mutya/Pearl of the Philippines-Asia and was 4th runner-up in the 1977 Miss Asia pageant. She was a restauranteur, a television host and a politician. She was elected Vice Mayor of Pontevedra, Negros Occidental in the May 1998 Philippine local elections.
Her first husband was singer Hajji Alejandro, with whom she had three children: Rachel, Nino and Ali. Her second husband was politician Charlie Cojuangco, with whom she had two more children: Jaime and Claudia.
She died of stage 4 colon cancer on 04 October 2004 at the Seton Hospital in Daly City, California.